I am back with another personal project, this time its based of an amazing RWBY fanart piece by dishwasher1910 that can be seen here:
I made it a point to take screenshots of all the major steps for the purpose of this post, so after importing the image as a plane to use as my guide I began blocking the model out from a cube.
I think I should have used this chance to thicken up the seat section and drag out the front more.
Following that and after testing the waters with the (3) key short cut, I smoothed everything, bringing me this model.
(I also did the majority of this modeling with half the model missing, so I could mirror and fuse it back into one full model later)
From which I dragged out the head-rest and back wing, making it a point to shrink the edge loops at the base of the wings and using extrude to create the cushions.
The next stage was to smooth again and use the greater versatility granted to me by the extra edge lops to selected multiple faces, hit extrude and then drag them inside the model to serve as the basis for where the engine would be contained.
I had to restart this process due to the initially clumsy manner in which I did this (Working in line view I lost perspective) but managed to course correct after bridging and reconnecting everything.
I also dragged out the seats more and created a duplicate of this model in order to delete everything but the top of the engine so that I could then extrude it out and create the glassy engine cover seen in the picture.
With that done, I divided the model into a softened and non softened version, though I frankly struggle to tell the difference.
From there, I moved onto the engine, created by floating dozens of smaller models onto the image plan, grouping them and dragging them onto the model, adapting and moving them wen necessary to make sure they fit.
I also created the foot cups and rockets separated as extruding them would have made the UVs terrible.
(Top is softened, bottom is normal.)
I also connected the raised ridge next to the head-rest to the segment of the bike above the head-rest.
With that done, I embarked on a quick texture job using the supplied textures offered by Renderman to re-familiarize myself with them and finish off the model.
Due to it being 11:30 I decided to just do a broad stroke texturing to get the primary materials and colors across.
The furthest to the front is softened, the back one is normal.
All in all, for an evenings work I am fairly pleased with he results and felt it was excellent practice for the creation of engine and similarly complex models along with giving me the chance to pay homage to an extremely skilled artist.
Thanks for the inspiration dishwasher1910!
I hope this was an interesting post, as always any feedback, comments or critique is most welcome, thanks for reading!